"While dictators rage and statesmen talk, all Europe dances — to The Lambeth Walk."

Sunday 14 June 2009

Racial Violence in America

Below are the ramblings of an American comedian called Louis CK:

Sorry I’m being so negative. I’m a bummer, I don’t know I shouldn’t be I’m a very lucky guy. I got a lot going from me. I’m a healthy, I’m relatively young. I’m white; which thank God for that sh** boy. That is a huge leg up, are you kidding me? I love being white I really do. Seriously, if you’re not white you’re missing out because this sh** is pearly good.

Let me be clear by the way, I’m not saying that white people are better. I’m saying that being white is clearly better, who could even argue? If it was an option I would reup ever year. Oh yeah I’ll take white again absolutely, I’ve been enjoying that, I’ll stick with white thank you. Here’s how great it is to be white, I could get in a time machine and go to any time and it would be f***** awesome when I get there. That is exclusively a white privilege.

Black people can’t f*** with time machines. A black guy in a time machine is like hey anything before 1980 no thank you, I don’t want to go. But I can go to any time. The year 2, I don’t even know what was happening then but I know when I get there, welcome we have a table right here for you sir. .nbsp;. . thank you, it’s lovely here in the year 2. I can go to any time in the past, I don’t want to go to the future and find out what happens to white people because we’re going to pay hard for this sh**, you gotta know that . . . we’re not just gonna fall from number 1 to 2.

They’re going to hold us down and f*** us in the ass forever and we totally deserve it but for now wheeeee. If you’re white and you don’t admit that it’s great, you’re an a******. It is great and I’m a man. How many advantages can one person have? I’m a white man, you can’t even hurt my feelings. What can you really call a white man that really digs deep? Hey cracker . . . oh ruined my day. Boy shouldn’t have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people what a drag.

Well, he may not be eloquent or erudite, but the basic thrust of his message - we're all going to pay for past sins, real or imagined - is sadly accurate, it seems.

Perhaps the following video attests to Louis CK's vision coming true, as it has in countless other places:


Racist? Or simply gang related?

You decide - but if the colours of victim and perpetrator were reversed, we all know what conclusion would have been reached automatically.

Thus Louis CK's vision is born not only through racist violence, but through the wilful blindness of those charged with protecting us.

No comments: