"While dictators rage and statesmen talk, all Europe dances — to The Lambeth Walk."

Tuesday 16 June 2009

Two Tales from South Africa

1) What is the definition of a 'random' shooting?

Well, in South Africa it seems that a random shooting is what happens when a black man just happens to injure four white people with a shotgun.

Of course, if the colour of the victims and perpetrator are reversed, the label used is also a six letter word beginning with the letter 'r' - but a very different one.

Anyway, here is the report:

Four young men, aged between 13 and 26, were shot near a farm in Madibeng, North West police said on Monday.

Captain Aafje Botma said police were investigating cases of attempted murder after a 55-year-old man shot at the young men as they walked to a shop in Klipkop on Sunday evening.

"They were walking to the shop when they were allegedly attacked by the suspect who started shooting randomly," said Botma.

A 13-year-old boy was wounded in his right hand, a 15-year-old in his right eye, a 19-year-old was shot in his right hand and a 26-year-old man in his right leg.

The 19-year-old was in a critical condition in the hospital.

The 55-year-old man was arrested but the motive for the shooting was unclear, Botma said. The shotgun used in the shooting was confiscated and the man was due to appear in court soon.

Meanwhile, the Congress of SA Trade Unions in the province condemned the shooting as racist.

The union federation said the alleged shooter was not arrested until it demanded that he be taken into custody.

Cosatu also demanded that the man not be given bail.

"We call strongly on the Departments of Safety and Security and Justice to implement policies to defend the rights of the poor people of this country.

"Once again we call our provincial and national government to act immediately on this matter and not look to those who are rich, to use their money to corrupt government officials," said Cosatu spokesperson for the province Solly Phetoe. - Sapa

It is good news that some people can see the truth, and the victims have this union on their side.

Can a nation which does not imprison a man guilty of shooting four people until someone demands it be fit to host the World Cup?

Well, the question of police corruption and competence brings us on to the next story:


2) What happens when a naive liberal reporter, Reuters' football correspondent Mike Collett, collides with reality:

Mind how you go, sir — a lesson with the South African police.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter, World Cup organiser Danny Jordaan and just about everyone else involved in the 2010 finals have been playing down the risk of violence and crime in South Africa and in hundreds of reports over the last five years I have always been prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That was until last night when I was effectively “mugged” by two uniformed police officers who demanded “pounds or dollars” before they would let me go on my way. In the end I handed over 200 rand (about 15 pounds) — and they showed their “gratitude” in the most astonishing way. I covered the Spain-New Zealand match for Reuters in Rustenburg on Sunday evening and drove the 120-miles back to my hotel in Sandton City after the game.

I left Rustenburg at midnight, made good time without incident, dropped off my travelling companion at his hotel and was nearing Sandton when I saw a flashing light about 200 metres ahead and realised a policeman was indicating by torchlight for me to stop. I did.

After the usual pleasantries of, “How are you tonight sir,” and a check of my driving licence and passport, they quickly cut to the quick, ordered me out of the car and asked me where I had been and if I had been drinking.

I told them “Rustenburg” and no I hadn’t been drinking as I was driving. Seeing my Confederations Cup accreditation tag around my neck they asked me what I thought of the game which Spain won 5-0.

I thought we might have a pleasant discussion about Fernando Torres’ 17-minute hat-trick, but they didn’t seem too bothered about that. They then asked me where I was going.

When I told them the name of my hotel, which was only about five minutes drive away, they told me I would never find it.

I told them I had a very reliable SatNav. They told me it was useless and I would get lost. Only they knew where my hotel was and after giving me directions asked me for their money. “Where are our dollars or pounds, sir ?” they asked in a more threatening manner.

I gave them their cash and they let me go.

A minute later I saw their blue light flashing in my mirror again. This time I was rather more concerned.

They pulled me over again and the younger of the two said: “You will get lost sir,” and in no uncertain terms indicated I follow them again.

Bizarrely, they took me directly to the hotel — blue lights flashing all the way.

“Good night sir,” they shouted as the car park barrier raised, “and be careful, it is very dangerous on the roads in South Africa at night.”

You can say that again.


Many realistic bloggers have predicted that the 2010 World Cup is going to be a disaster.

It probably will, but it might serve one valuable purpose - waking the West up in regard to what is currently happening in South Africa.

5 comments:

Nemesis said...

South Africa, the land of Nelson Mandela....which MSM is going to report the truth about South Africa, the darling of the left?

Dr.D said...

If this comes the attention of the Western media, they will spin it into a demand for more aid for blacks, you can bet on it. Why would those nice SA black police be holding people up if they were not desparate?

The 1st Earl of Cromer said...

Nemesis:

The mainstream media can't write about this subject without disabusing people to their own world view, that's the problem.

The 1st Earl of Cromer said...

Dr. D:

Funny you should say that - I mentioned the police bribery case to a friend, and the first question he asked me was 'well, how much do police in SA get paid?'

It seems the mentality of non-white victimhood simply never leaves some.

Unknown said...

I read this article, and the comments thereafter. Once again I commend you on your factual coverage of events in this country.

As a "minority" member South African I can state the following in regards to the South African Police Services, firstly because it is really common knowledge, and secondly, as a former member of the South African Police Reservists and having been married to a Superintendent in the Force, I know it to be true. Crime and corruption within the ranks of the SAPS is commonplace. As for their salaries, the police now receive attractive salaries and benefits. From mid 90's white members were asked to take a severence package to make way for "previously disadvantaged" members. Whether or not they had the expertise or qualifications required to operate within the Police Force effectively was really not an issue. Appointments were (and are still) based on race. It begs the question then that why since the mid 90's when these "affirmative action appointments" became the norm, do we now have the highest ever levels of crime, unemployment, corruption etc...

Not too long ago a crime syndicate was uncovered. The syndicate was preparing itself for the 2010 World Cup. Tourists are and have been for many years, targets to criminals.

The powers that be do attempt to portray things in South Africa as "happening" and "improving". It is tragic that so many people actually are taken in by it.

A clear indication that what the world demanded - and got - is NOT working is quite evident even in the fact that we as South Africans, with direct family in the UK, can no longer freely travel even IN TRANSIT through UK without having applied for a costly visa beforehand. The world that demanded what WE have to live with, no longer want South Africans. I don't do crime, I have never been racially motivated but I was treated as a criminal during my last visit to the UK. It ended with my being interrogated by the Home Office because of my South African status, refused a telephone call to the SA Embassy, my children were locked up, including my son who is Irish. I was forbidden a telephone call to my immeidate family. I have been travelling and living there intermittently since 1985 after marrying a Londoner IN LONDON.

The 2010 World Cup WILL open up the West's eyes to the real truth about South Africa, even if only because it is the visitors who will be targeted by criminals.